The ethics of engineering II
HUM-459 / 3 crédits
Enseignant: Tieffenbach Emma
Withdrawal: It is not allowed to withdraw from this subject after the registration deadline.
Remark: Une seule inscription à un cours SHS+MGT autorisée. En cas d'inscriptions multiples elles seront toutes supprimées sans notification.
In Spring, students work on either a joint or an individual project of their choice, in agreement with the teachers and under their supervision. Depending on the nature of the project, the latter could be realized in collaboration with other EPFL researchers.
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Recognize the ethical issues that engineers may encounter in their professional activities.
- Use ethical concepts and tools in order to form their own ethical judgement in the matter.
- Defend practicable solutions
- Demonstrate the capacity for critical thinking
- Make an oral presentation.
- Write a literature review which assesses the state of the art.
- Write a scientific or technical report.
- Plan and carry out activities in a way which makes optimal use of available time and other resources.
- Assess progress against the plan, and adapt the plan as appropriate.
Students will be taught by 3 methods:
- They will be given a weekly introductory course given in English, aiming at providing them the "nuts and bolts" that they need to pursue their projects (Winter)
- They will benefit from the coaching of experts, while developing their own project. (Winter/Spring)
- They will be given time to develop their project as they wish (Winter/Spring)
The second evaluation, at the end of Spring, bears on the advancement made of the project, the written report, the final oral presentation and discussion.
Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)
see Ethics of Engineering I for links to literature
Références suggérées par la bibliothèque
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Printemps
- Nombre de places: 70
- Forme de l'examen: Pendant le semestre (session d'été)
- Matière examinée: The ethics of engineering II
- Projet: 3 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
Semaine de référence