MGT-487 / 3 crédits
Enseignant: Chevallier Arnaud
Withdrawal: It is not allowed to withdraw from this subject after the registration deadline.
Remark: Courses given on IMD Campus.
As a professional you will face unfamiliar challenges that will require you to think strategically. This course develops your strategic thinking by giving you a step-by-step process and actionable tools applicable to any complex challenge.
This course enables you to improve your problem-solving skills throughout the entire journey, including:
- Framing, where you identify what the problem is
- Exploring, where you identify potential solutions and what matters to you and your stakeholders in solutions
- Deciding, where you select the solution that, overall, best meets your needs.
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Establish a comprehensive problem-solving approach
- Restate the perceived problem in a synthetic frame
- Analyze the root causes of the problem and update the frame accordingly
- Construct a clear map of the set of potential solutions
- Structure the analysis of the potential solutions
- Decide which solution offers the best tradeoffs
- Synthesize the analysis in a compelling argument
- Access and evaluate appropriate sources of information.
- Continue to work through difficulties or initial failure to find optimal solutions.
- Demonstrate a capacity for creativity.
- Demonstrate the capacity for critical thinking
DIDACTIC APPROACH AND CLASS ATTENDANCE:
This course uses a mix of flipped lectures (videos), class discussions, and projects.
Attendance to all sessions is mandatory. Any absence that hasn't been cleared with the instructor ahead of time may result in penalties up to a failing grade.
There is no final exam. Instead, your assessment will be a mix of a group project (groups of three or four) and individual assessment.
- Class participation, including contributions to help others (in your group and other groups) = 25% (individual)
- Quality of synthesis report = 40% (group)
- Quality of take aways + quality of comments on others' take aways = 20% (individual)
- Contribution to making others in the group more successful as evaluated by peers = 15% (individual)
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Automne
- Nombre de places: 40
- Forme de l'examen: Pendant le semestre (session d'hiver)
- Matière examinée: Complex problem solving in organizations
- Cours: 2 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
Semaine de référence