MGT-487 / 2 crédits
Enseignant: Chevallier Arnaud
Withdrawal: It is not allowed to withdraw from this subject after the registration deadline.
Remark: Cours donné sur le campus IMD
As a professional and eventually an executive, you will face a variety of complex problems that require you to think strategically. This course enables you to develop your strategic thinking by giving you a step-by-step process and actionable tools applicable to any complex challenge.
This course enables you to improve your problem-solving skills throughout the entire journey, including:
- Framing, where you identify what the problem is
- Exploring, where you identify potential solutions as well as what matters to you and your stakeholders
- Deciding, where you select the solution that, overall, best meets your needs.
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Establish a comprehensive problem-solving approach
- Restate the perceived problem in a synthetic frame
- Analyze the root causes of the problem and update the frame accordingly
- Construct a clear map of the set of potential solutions
- Structure the analysis of the potential solutions
- Decide which solution offers the best tradeoffs
- Synthesize the analysis in a compelling argument
- Access and evaluate appropriate sources of information.
- Continue to work through difficulties or initial failure to find optimal solutions.
- Demonstrate a capacity for creativity.
- Demonstrate the capacity for critical thinking
This course uses a mix of flipped lectures (videos), class discussions, and projects
Class participation, including contributions to help others and comments on reading assignments - 20%
Frame and diagnostic analysis - Exercise 20%
How map - Exercise 20%
Decision matrix and analysis - Exercise 20%
Final report - Exercise 20%
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Printemps
- Nombre de places: 32
- Forme de l'examen: Pendant le semestre (session d'été)
- Matière examinée: Complex problem solving in organizations
- Cours: 1 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines