MSE-609 / 1 credit
Remark: Next time : 2023
Every 2 years
Modern Scanning Electron Microscopes, when combined with Focused Ion Beams (Dual beam FIB-SEM), provide a larger number of multimodal imaging and analysis/characterisation modes at the nano- and micron-scales. The aim of the course is to present the extended analytical possibilities of such device.
The aim of the course is the introduction to the different analytical methods in SEM, FIB and brieflely TEM for nano- and micro-structural and chemical investigations. The fundamental theory behind the different analytical methods with their advantage and limitations will be discussed. Theory and demonstration of the different imaging and characterization techniques will be also done in front of FIB, SEM and TEM in samll groups for targeted teaching.
The following subjects will be presented during the course:
- Introduction to the different analytical techniques in SEM and FIB
- Basics of the scanning electron microscopy and focused ion beam instruments (construction principles, signals, interaction with the sample)
- Advanced imaging mode with SEM and FIB: SE, BSE and ion channeling contrast, STEM, Low tension microscopy
- Advanced microstructure investigation with EBSD and transmission EBSD orientation mapping
- EBSD strain and stress analyses with cross-correlation technique
- Chemical analyses with EDS, WDS and µ-XRF
- Chemical depth profile with TOFSIMS
- Introduction to SEM in-situ technique: in-situ diffraction; micro-mechanics; AFM; in-situ heating
- Brief introduction to TEM: TEM vs SEM for imaging and diffraction
- Possibility of measurement of real sample with the participants
This course is open to participants with a basic background in materials science, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, micro-technology or physics, from both industry and academia.
Scanning Electron Microscopy, Focuss Ion Beam, Transmission Electron Microscopy, microanalysis, multimodal imaging, analytical methods, chemical analysis
The course is recommended for every student and scientist using analytical FIB-SEM devices for their work.
Theory through power point presentations and parctical teaching in front of the devices in small groups for a more targeted teaching.
In the programs
- Number of places: 16
- Exam form: Written (session free)
- Subject examined: 21Intro Scanning electron microscopy techniques
- Lecture: 15 Hour(s)
- Exercises: 3 Hour(s)