MSE-204 / 4 crédits
Enseignant: Tileli Vasiliki
This course establishes the basic concepts of thermodynamics and defines the main state functions. The concepts are then applied to the study of phase diagram of various systems.
1. Reminder of the thermodynamics definitions. Work and Heat. Reversibility.
2. Auxiliary functions and their relationships. Chemical potential
3. Treatment of mixtures. Molar and partial molar variables.
4. General treatment of chemical reactions. Reaction progress. Variables of reaction
5. Chemical reactions in the gaseous state. Equilibrium constant.
6. Phase equilibiria of mixtures. Gibbs' rule of phases.
7. Chemical reactions in solutions. Equilibrium constant. Effects of pressure and temperature.
8. Non-ideal solutions. Standard states. Chemical potentials. Activity coefficients.
9. Single component, binary, eutectic, phase diagrams. Excess variables of mixing.
10. Stability of multicomponent mixtures.
Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering
Various courses of the Materials science and engineering section
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Analyze a thermodynamics problem
- Compute the changes in entropy, enthalpy and Gibbs free energy
- Construct a phase diagram
- Interpret the chemical potential
Ex cathedra et exercises
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Automne
- Forme de l'examen: Ecrit (session d'hiver)
- Matière examinée: Thermodynamics for materials science
- Cours: 3 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
- Exercices: 1 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines