AR-202(q) / 10 crédits
Withdrawal: It is not allowed to withdraw from this subject after the registration deadline.
Remark: Inscription faite par la section
The second semester will build on the knowledge generated during the first semester. We will work together on the tools that develop a practice of design, including the study of references, as well as drawing, model and image-making.
Being Propositional - Practice Designing - Design Tools and Construction
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Formulate ideas, analysis, intention, questions
- Apply a range of research skills
- Realize a range of assignments
- Design spaces, structures, models, drawings, prototypes, buildings
- Communicate effectively with professionals from other disciplines.
- Give feedback (critique) in an appropriate fashion.
- Take responsibility for environmental impacts of her/ his actions and decisions.
- Take feedback (critique) and respond in an appropriate manner.
- Access and evaluate appropriate sources of information.
- Make an oral presentation.
We will be teaching through a range of methods, which merge practical skills and critical thinking about architecture and spatial design. We have prepared a series of Assignments and workshops which cover these.
Place : Tools that develop a practice of attention - which includes conversations, interviews and audits, analytical drawing, mapping and survey and the practice of craft technique.
Material understanding : Gain an intimate understanding of the historical and contemporary uses for materials in this context.
Precedent Study : Large scale models of timber precedents will allow for the connectino between culture, place, and construction to be investigated.
Translation : The concepts explored during the place, precedent and material tests will be developed into design proposals in groups, situating the methods learned within a swiss context.
Final Exhibition : All of the work will be curated into a final group exhibition of the research and proposals. Guests and advisors from the semester will be invited back to comment on the studio's work as a whole.
Expected student activities
Remote forms of research and exploration of a place including the use of archives and literature
Situated research of a place including walks and study visits, hearing presentations from local officials, residents and experts
Design and cultural research culminating in drawing and production of large scale study models and drawings
Collating group materials and documenting work carefully and professionally
Presenting work to internal and external experts and critics
Design and construction of an exhibition
Enquiry: Engagement in practice informed by comprehensive analysis and evaluation of diverse complex practices, concepts and theories
Knowledge: Critical analysis and synthesis of a range of practical, conceptual and technical knowledge(s)
Process: Experiment and critically evaluate methods, results and their implications in a range of complex and emergent situations
Communication: Articulation of criticality, clarity and depth. Communicating a diverse range of intentions, contexts, sources and arguments appropriate to your audiences
Realisation: Advancing the personal, professional and academic standards of production
50% Final Review
30% Desk Review
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Printemps
- Forme de l'examen: Pendant le semestre (session d'été)
- Matière examinée: Théorie et critique du projet BA3, BA4 (Assemble)
- Cours: 2 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
- Projet: 4 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
Semaine de référence