CIVIL-323 / 5 crédits
Enseignant: Ruggiero David Michael Volpe
This course introduces the student to the behaviour and design of reinforced concrete structures. The student will learn the principles of analysis of reinforced concrete and how to design common concrete elements including columns, beams, and slabs.
Introduction:General background; History of reinforced concrete; Sustainability
Material behaviour of concrete; Shrinkage, creep, temperature effects; Material behaviour of reinforcing steel
Equilibrium, compatibility, constitutive laws; Linear elements in compression; Linear elements in tension; Bond and development
Basic principles of flexure; Uncracked, cracked elastic, plastic behaviour; Design of singly and doubly reinforced beams
Combined flexure and axial load; M-N interaction diagrams; Biaxial bending
Beam shear; Truss model; Longitudinal demand due to shear
Serviceability; Long-term deflection; Crack opening
Column design; Second-order effects
Elastic vs. plastic design; Upper bound, lower bound
Background of slabs; Strip method for slabs
Yield line method for slabs
Punching in slabs
Detailing; Frame corners; Changing sections
Structures, Concrete, Stress fields, Design
Structural mechanics (for GC), Continuum mechanics (for GC)
Important concepts to start the course
Statics, mechanics of materials
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Apply the principles of equilibrium, compatibility, and constitutive behaviour to reinforced concrete
- Identify the appropriate design method for a given element
- Design reinforced concrete beams, slabs, and columns
- Analyze the effects of long-term loading
- Compare different methods for shear design
- Plan and carry out activities in a way which makes optimal use of available time and other resources.
- Respect relevant legal guidelines and ethical codes for the profession.
- Manage priorities.
- Set objectives and design an action plan to reach those objectives.
- Assess one's own level of skill acquisition, and plan their on-going learning goals.
- Access and evaluate appropriate sources of information.
- Ex cathedra
- Computational tools
- In-class exercises
- Problem sets
Expected student activities
- Attend lectures
- Participate in exercises
- Home study
- Problem sets
- Continuous assessment (40% of total grade)
- Final written exam (60% of total grade)
Reinforced concrete structures - Advanced topics, Ponts en béton
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Automne
- Forme de l'examen: Ecrit (session d'hiver)
- Matière examinée: Reinforced concrete structures
- Cours: 3 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
- Exercices: 2 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines