MICRO-712 / 2 crédits
Remark: March 1-13: Self-paced videos & lecture notes / March 14-18: Q&A sessions / Week of March 21: Oral exam
Only this year
Course dealing with the design and fabrication of fundamental components of smart phones front-end communication (filters, duplexers, quadplexers).
Basic Physics: waves and vibrations (10h)
1. Fundamentals of theory of elasticity
2. Acoustic waves in isotropic solids
3. Reflections and refractions of elastic waves
4. Rayleigh Surface Acoustic Waves (SAW) in isotropic media
Acoustics of crystals (10h)
5. Piezoelectricity and Electro-mechanical coupling
6. Acoustic waves in piezoelectric materials and Anisotropy
7. Energy flow, phase and group velocities
8. How do crystal (quartz) resonators operate?
9. Thin Film Bulk Acoustic wave Resonators (FBARs)
10. Generation of bulk acoustic waves by piezoelectric transducers
11. Different types of SAW in piezoelectric crystals: Rayleigh type SAW, Bleustein-Gulyaev waves, "leaky" SAW, STW, etc
SAW and FBAR Devices (5h)
12. Interdigital transducer (IDT) â elementary theory and properties
13. SAW reflectors, unidirectional transducers, multistrip couplers, waveguides
14. Ladder filters & duplexers
Invited Speaker: Victor Plessky
SAW, FBAR, Electromechanics, Electroacoustics, Filters, RF
Knowledge of basic physics (oscillations, waves, diffraction, alternative currents, impedance) and math (matrixes, linear diff. equations, complex variables) is required. Knowledge of Scaling laws and Microfabrication is recommended.
 D. Royer, E. Dieulesaint, Elastic waves in solids, Springer, 2000
 Ken-Ya Hashimoto, SAW Devices in Telecommunications: Modelling and Simulation, Springer, Apr 2013.
Ressources en bibliothèque
Dans les plans d'études
- Nombre de places: 30
- Forme de l'examen: Mémoire (session libre)
- Matière examinée: Piezoelectric bulk and surface acoustic devices
- Cours: 25 Heure(s)