BIOENG-315 / 4 crédits
Enseignant: Ghezzi Diego
The course presents materials science and engineering from the perspective of biological applications. Lectures provide solid fundamentals on the design, fabrication, and characterization of materials. Exercises provide instructive examples on how to implement biomaterials in biomedical research.
Fundamentals of materials science
- Atoms, atomic structure, and bonding forces
- Structural mechanics
- Solid characteristics (electrical, magnetic, and dielectric properties)
- Main material classes: metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites
Fabrication, processing, and analysis of materials
- Casting, molding, printing, coating, self-assembly
- Nano and micro structuring
- Bulk and surface engineering
- Surface characterization
- Sterilization procedures
- Mechanical, chemical, and electrical analysis
- Biostability, biocompatibility, and biodegradation
Applications in biomedicine and bioscience
- Materials used in biomedicine: Natural materials, Synthetic materials and Biologically inspired biomaterials
- Application in basic bioscience research
- Application in tissue engineering
- Application in medical devices
Atomic forces, polymers, degradation, fabrication, processing, characterization, biomaterials
Important concepts to start the course
This class requires a basic knowledge of chemistry and physics
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Formulate the main differences among materials classes
- Elaborate the concepts behind the classes of materials used in biomedicine and bioscience
- Recognize the main elements necessary to exploit materials in a project in biomedicine
- Communicate effectively, being understood, including across different languages and cultures.
- Use a work methodology appropriate to the task.
- Assess one's own level of skill acquisition, and plan their on-going learning goals.
- Demonstrate the capacity for critical thinking
- Manage priorities.
- Access and evaluate appropriate sources of information.
- Continue to work through difficulties or initial failure to find optimal solutions.
Lectures integrated with exercises
Expected student activities
Attending lectures, completing exercises, group case study, reading material from the course and from literature as preparation.
Final Written Exam
- Fundamentals of materials science and engineering 4th ed., SI version
- Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering; ISBN: 978-0-12-803581-8
- Comprehensive Biomaterials / Ducheyne
Ressources en bibliothèque
Will be provided on Moodle webpage
Master courses in Biomaterials (BIOENG-442)
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Automne
- Forme de l'examen: Ecrit (session d'hiver)
- Matière examinée: Materials science for bioengineers
- Cours: 3 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
- Exercices: 1 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines