PHYS-731 / 4 crédits
Remark: Next time: Fall 2022
Every 2 years
To provide an overview of the fundamentals of magnetic confinement (MC) of plasmas for fusion.The different MC configurations are presented, with a description of their operating regimes.The basic elements of particle & energy transport, of plasma-wall interaction & of burning plasma are introduced.
The plasma heating techniques are addressed. The course aims at providing both an experimental and a theoretical approach to the subjects.
The course will consist of three parts:
- an overview of the different magnetic confinement configurations (tokamaks, stellarator, RFPs, …) and of the operating regimes, with an introduction to the plasma-wall interaction and to the burning plasma physics;
- introduction to particle and energy transport in magnetic confinement devices (classical, neoclassical, and turbulent transport);
- basic principles of plasma heating and current drive, including heating due to fusion-generated alpha particles.
The introductory plasma physics courses are a pre-requisite.
Dans les plans d'études
- Forme de l'examen: Oral (session libre)
- Matière examinée: Magnetic confinement
- Cours: 28 Heure(s)
- Exercices: 28 Heure(s)