MGT-495 / 3 crédits
Enseignant: Palazzo Guido
Withdrawal: It is not allowed to withdraw from this subject after the registration deadline.
Remark: Cours donné sur campus UNIL
In a society that is changing at high speed, the solutions that we have learned and the challenges we face, do no longer fit together. The ecological crisis and digitalization are profoundly challenging our way of life. In times of great change and disorientation, ethics moves center stage.
Block 1 - 22.9. 14-17h
The great transformation â Understanding the multiple crises of our age
Block 2 - 24.9. 9-12h
The concept of the planetary boundaries
Block 3 - 29.9. 14-17h
Managing the grand transition: The new responsibilities of business in society
Block 4 - 1.10. 9-12h
Ethical decision making â an introduction to moral philosophy
Block 5 - 6.10. 14-17h
Unethical decision making in organizations â analyzing corporate scandals from Volkswagen to France Telecom
Block 6 - 8.10. 9-12h
The concept of ethical blindness â why good people make unethical decisions
Block 7 - 13.10. 14-17h
The ethical challenges of new information technologies
Fake news, bubbles and critical thinking
Block 8 - 15.10. 9-12h
Group presentations of moonshot ideas
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Analyze the various driving forces of the current societal crisis
- Analyze ethical risks within companies
- Manage a tool box for managing these ethical risks.
- Develop innovative and disruptive sustainability projects
- Give feedback (critique) in an appropriate fashion.
- Take account of the social and human dimensions of the engineering profession.
- Make an oral presentation.
Lecture, group discussion, groupwork
Your grade is based on one individual assignment and two group assignment.
Assignment 1 (group): You will analyze one of the nine planetary boundaries in a group. (30% of the overall grade)
Assignment 2 (individual): You will analyze the driving forces of one of the recent corporate scandals. (40% of the overall grade)
Assignment 3 (group): You will develop a moonshot idea for a sustainability project and analyze all dimensions of your idea (technological, economic, cultural, political) (30% of the overall grade)
Delivered during the course
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Automne
- Nombre de places: 40
- Forme de l'examen: Pendant le semestre (session d'hiver)
- Matière examinée: Introduction to ethics & critical thinking
- Cours: 2 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
Semaine de référence