BIOENG-399 / 4 crédits
Enseignant: Tang Li
Withdrawal: It is not allowed to withdraw from this subject after the registration deadline.
Immunoengineering is an emerging field where engineering principles are grounded in immunology. This course provides students a broad overview of how engineering approaches can be utilized to study immunology, model immune systems, modulate immune response, and develop novel immunotherapies.
Part 1. Understanding immunology with engineering tools
Introduction of the course and expectation
Overview of the fundamentals of immunology
Definition and scope of immunoengineering
Engineering tools and new technologies to understand immunology
Part 2. Engineering novel immunotherapies for diseases
Cancer and cancer immunotherapies
Concept and overview of drug delivery
Materials engineering in the advancement of immunotherapies
Immune cell engineering and genetic engineering
Metabolic engineering and immune modulation
Overview of adaptive immunity and vaccines
Design of immunogenic vaccines
Cell based vaccines
Autoimmunity and tolerogenic vaccines
Protein and antibody engineering
Part 3. Applications and practical issues
Considerations on immune drug discovery and development
immunology, immunoengineering, vaccines, infectious diseases, autoimmunity, cancer, materials engineering, drug delivery, protein engineering, drug discovery and development
Physiologie par systèmes I
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Describe the concept of immunoengineering
- Make examples of how engineering approaches has led to advancements in immunotherapy
- Take into consideration how to apply engineering principles to immunology research and applications
- Summarize an article or a technical report.
- Communicate effectively, being understood, including across different languages and cultures.
- Write a scientific or technical report.
Lectures integrated with exercises
Expected student activities
Attending lectures, analysing figures from research papers, completing exercises, paper discussion, reading and digisting scientific literatures, and presenting opinions in a form of scientific essay.
Scientific essay writing: 30%
Final written exam: 70%
How the immune system works: Lauren Sompayrac. 3e
Kuby Immunology: Owen, Pung, Stranford. 7e
Cellular and Molecular Immunology: Abbas & Lichtman. 8e
Janeway's immunobiology: Kenneth Murphy ; Charles A. Janeway ; Allan Mowat. 8e
Ressources en bibliothèque
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Printemps
- Forme de l'examen: Ecrit (session d'été)
- Matière examinée: Immunoengineering
- Cours: 2 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
- Exercices: 2 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
Semaine de référence