MGT-303 / 2 crédits
Enseignant: de Rassenfosse Gaétan Jean A
Remark: Une seule inscription à un cours SHS+MGT autorisée. En cas d'inscriptions multiples elles seront toutes supprimées sans notification
This class will provide students with an understanding of some real-world issues related to the "knowledge economy." Why should we innovate as a society? Why innovation doesn't just happen and how can the government help firms innovate? We will answer these questions and others using economic tools.
The class is organized in three chapters, covering the following themes:
- A macroeconomic perspective: innovation and economic growth
- A microeconomic perspective: market failures and policy tools to encourage innovation
- Intellectual property
Economics; Science, Technology and Innovation; Knowledge; Policy
No prerequisite needed
Other courses of the SHS program in Management and Finance for future Engineers is a plus.
Important concepts to start the course
Students are not expected to know economic concepts before taking this course.
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Define some economic concepts
- Analyze real-world situations related to innovation
- Assess / Evaluate the relevance of innovation policy tools
- Demonstrate the capacity for critical thinking
- Take account of the social and human dimensions of the engineering profession.
Formal lectures with handouts.
Expected student activities
Students are expected to actively participate and engage in class discussion.
- Midterm (accounting for 30% of the final grade)
- Final exam (during the semester, accounting for 70% of the final grade)
Both exams involve writing an individual essay based on readings covering the material seen in class.
Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)
No reference books needed. Handouts are self contained.
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Printemps
- Nombre de places: 80
- Forme de l'examen: Pendant le semestre (session d'été)
- Matière examinée: Economics of ideas
- Cours: 2 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
Semaine de référence