HUM-381 / 2 crédits
Remark: Pas donné en 2022-23 - Une seule inscription à un cours SHS+MGT autorisée. En cas d'inscriptions multiples elles seront toutes supprimées sans notification
The media frequently report on how color influences one's emotions and well-being. We teach students basic skills to critically understand and interpret these claims analyzing empirical studies in affective color psychology.
Color is widely considered powerful in shaping psychological processing. Popular media frequently report on how color influences emotions and fosters well-being. However, many of these claims are based on marketing strategies and not empirical findings. When looking at the existing literature, these claims are less convincing, or rather, the evidence for many claims is yet missing. The current seminar will introduce and discuss ways to study and test the relationships between color and psychological functioning. With psychological functioning we refer to cognitive and affective processes such as perception of and conceptual associations with color and affect. The discussions will be based on experimental as well as survey studies. The objective of the course is for students to become aware of problems of causality, proof of popular statements and critical thinking regarding statements that can be widely read and heard in the public domain.
cognition, color psychology, perception, language, emotion, affect
Important concepts to start the course
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Search for relevant literature
- Describe previous research including their weaknesses and strengths
- Discuss research articles within a larger context
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate different, or ideally opposing viewpoints
- Formulate your reasoning in oral and written form
- Justify a constructive synthesis of the treated literature
- Defend your conclusion based on the former learning outcomes
- Assess progress against the plan, and adapt the plan as appropriate.
- Plan and carry out activities in a way which makes optimal use of available time and other resources.
- Communicate effectively with professionals from other disciplines.
- Give feedback (critique) in an appropriate fashion.
- Summarize an article or a technical report.
- Demonstrate the capacity for critical thinking
- Make an oral presentation.
- Take feedback (critique) and respond in an appropriate manner.
- Access and evaluate appropriate sources of information.
Course - seminar style of 90 minutes
Introduction of a course-relevant research topic, presentation of key studies and critical discussion of existing empirical work.
We support students
- in their literature search
- in their preparation of the oral presentation
- in their preparation of the course summary
Expected student activities
-Present and discuss your scientific account of a popular statement in an oral presentation
-Write a brief summary of your presentation (half a page)
-Write 3 summaries (0.5-1 page each) of 3 presentations given by your peers.
-Contribute constructively to the disussion and outcome of the other presenters.
- Evalutation of the oral presentation
- Evaluation of the summary of the oral presentation
- Evaluation of the three summaries of presentations given by your peers
Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)
to be provided in the course
Dans les plans d'études
- Semestre: Automne
- Nombre de places: 80
- Forme de l'examen: Pendant le semestre (session d'hiver)
- Matière examinée: Colour psychology
- Cours: 2 Heure(s) hebdo x 14 semaines
Semaine de référence