PHYS-702 / 4 crédits
Remark: Next time: Fall
The course builds on the two previous courses on the subject. The main subject is the study of quantum field theories at the loop level. The course introduces the concept of loop divergences and renormalization. Non abelian gauge theories are also discussed in depth.
Skills developed in the course include the use of the Path integral formalism, methodologies to perform loop calculations and renormalization.
1) Path integral approach to QFT
2) Regularization and renormalization
- applications to scalar fields with a quartic interaction
- application to Yukawa theory
- application to Quantum Electrodynamics
3) Non-abelian gauge theories
- BRST quantization
- renormalization at 1- loop
4) The renormalization group
- Callan Symanzik equation
- asymptotic freedom
- fixed points
Path integral formalism, divergences renormalization, Gauge theories
Renormalization group, Anomalies
Quantum mechanics 1,2 - Quantum Field theory 1,2
Conformal Field theory and gravity
Gauge theories and the Standard Model
Expected student activities
Study a quantum field theory at quantum level.
Understanding and interpreting loop effects in a quantum field theory.
Performing loop calculations in gauge theories.
An introduction to Quantum Field Theory, by Peskin and Schroeder
The quantum theory of Fields, Vol 1,2 by Weinberg
Ressources en bibliothèque
Dans les plans d'études
- Forme de l'examen: Multiple (session libre)
- Matière examinée: Advanced Quantum Field Theory
- Cours: 28 Heure(s)
- Exercices: 28 Heure(s)