AR-201(m) / 10 credits
Teacher: Taillieu Jo François
Remark: Inscription faite par la section
A house is the simple topic of this studio. A matter of simple complexity. Starting from elements of architecture and images of life, defining a fragment; constructing a chair; finally arriving at a house. One double compact house. Learning about a house is learning about architecture.
HOUSE ONCE MORE
As studio jo taillieu - LIF always deals with the idea of the reference - what is your frame of reference - but also the idea of the practice - starting from the detail immediately -; the studio is not only looking for a possible architecture regarding a simulated exercise but rather a possible architect in a studio simulating a practice. Observation - rather than analysis - and imagination - rather than concept - are part of this approach. A strong belief in the variety of media - from handmade drawing, crafted modeling to digital drawings not only as a result but rather as an ongoing method - are the instruments on the table.
A studio where we take your pleasure seriously.
studio jo taillieu - LIF announces studio HOUSE ONCE MORE.
One chosen element of architecture, together with one reference showing life as the starting point for the exercise. Together they help defining a fragment; a fragment as an open starting point that is never complete.
It is about construction. About structure, about space, about atmosphere. How details make spaces, construction makes composition. One fragment, one student.
A chair to sit on, made out of one material. The second movement starts with choosing a way of connection. How do you construct a chair? And how do you draw a chair? References are again given as inspiration for an analogue drawing of the chair. It is about making. About construction, about material, about drawing. One drawing, one chair, two students. A real chair one scale 1:1 to sit on.
The fragment will lead to a house; from the fragment to a specific location.
It is about living. About construction, about making, about the community.
The context once again is Belgium. A neighborhood with social housing, once designed as a garden city. How to deal in an existing context and how to densify the fabric. One double compact house. Analyzing the existing fabric and act by adding one double house. Densifying and at the same time adding quality for the community. One double house for one chair, two students.
A sketchbook as a daily, ongoing research. A way of thinking by drawing.
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Understanding how detail makes space, how space makes detail or one cannot be without the other one.
- Finding the reference and finding the personal.
- Evolving and revolving by drawing and model and arriving by drawing and model.
- semester I: 40% - 14 weeks - jury.
M1 1 fragment: 1 model 1/20; M2 1 chair 1/1; 1 drawing of the chair A1 portrait scale according to project; the sketchbook
- semester II: 50% - 14 weeks - mid-term jury / jury
M3 1 house: 1 model 1/33, 1 site model 1/150; 1 set of unfolded plans scale according to project; the sketchbook
- general attitude, involvement, progress, etc. 10% - continuous monitoring.
Ressources en bibliothèque
- La maison de verre / Chareau
- Clockwork orange [DVD] / Kubrick
- A single man [DVD] / Ford
- Tokyo Ride [film] / Bêka & Lemoine [on Vimeo]
- Hopkins : the work of Michael Hopkins and Partners / Davies
- Le mépris [DVD] / Godard
- Houselife [DVD] / Koolhaas
- La maison de verre : Pierre Chareau's modernist masterpiece / Vellay
- My architect [DVD] / Kahn
- Tower house [DVD] / Klopf
- Smiljian Radic : houses / Walker, Puente, Radic
- Having a cigarette with Alvaro Siza [DVD] / Dilthey
In the programs
- Semester: Fall
- Exam form: During the semester (summer session)
- Subject examined: Studio BA3, BA4 (Taillieu)
- Lecture: 2 Hour(s) per week x 14 weeks
- Project: 4 Hour(s) per week x 14 weeks