Legal aspect of sustainability & digitalisation
MGT-536 / 5 credits
Teacher(s): Brunner Dunia, Glauser Pierre Marie, De Werra Jacques Alexander Joseph, Jaccard Michel Alain Daniel, Fischer Philipp
Remark: Courses given on UNIL Campus
This course will provide students with a basic knowledge of law. After an introduction to the law, aspects of tax law, environmental law, contract law, data protection or IP law will be offered, as well as the legal consequences of the digitalisation of society.
During this course, students will learn about various legal issues related to technology and sustainability.
The course starts with an introduction to Swiss law, students will be made aware of the importance of contractual issues. This is followed by an introduction to data protection issues. The course will then offer an overview on important tax issues. In this regard the focus will be on tax topics that are important for entrepreneurs and startups (e.g. tax consequences of different legal form of businesses, of different financing methods and of exit strategies for successful businesses). Indirect taxation and the use of taxes in the context of the environmental transition will also be discussed.
After that, an introduction to intellectual property will be given. The students will also be asked to consider the legal effects and issues of smart contracts and blockchains, and discuss the specificities of venture capital financing and corporate governance from a sustainability perspective. Finally, a presentation of environmental law will be given in order for the students to understand the normative heterogeneity of this field both on a domestic and international level.
swiss law ; digitalisation ; tax law ; IP ; environmental law ; contract law ; data protection
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Make a group presentation on a legal topic
- Take into consideration the legal issues related to sustainable development
- Demonstrate the capacity for critical thinking
- Respect relevant legal guidelines and ethical codes for the profession.
Ex cathedra course and group presentation. Some of the literature and course materials will be on Moodle.
Students will have to work in groups and present a project with their group on one of the topics covered during one of the two semesters of the course. In addition, the students will have to take a short-written examination. The presentation will account for 70% of the grade and the written exam for the remaining 30%.
A list of topics will be proposed to you during the first courses regarding the presentation by group. The groups will be made up of 3-4 students.
The course will be validated if the student obtains a grade equal or more than 4/6.
Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)
In the programs
- Semester: Spring
- Exam form: Written (summer session)
- Subject examined: Legal aspect of sustainability & digitalisation
- Lecture: 4 Hour(s) per week x 14 weeks
- Project: 1 Hour(s) per week x 14 weeks