CH-707 / 2 credits
Remark: Next time: Spring 2020
This training will empowered the student with all the tools of modern chemistry, which will be highly useful for his potential career as a process or medicinal chemist in industry.
Following topics will be at the focus of the lecture:
- The concepts of atom and step economy in synthesis
- Recent progresses in metal-catalyzed SP, SP2 and Sp3 C-C and C-X couplings
- The activation and direct functionalization of feedstocks compounds via C-H and C-C Activation
- The development of organocatalysis: towards metal-free catalysis
- Direct functionalization of olefins, including hydroamination, hydrogenation, hydrosilylation, hydroformylation and other C-C bond forming reactions
- The potential of radical chemistry for C-C and C-X bond formation
- Metal-Catalyzed Carbocyclization: From Ru and Rh-mediated cycloadditions to Pt and Au chemistry: the relative effect in organic chemistry.
- One-pot multi-steps reactions: avoiding time and ressource-consuming isolation procedures
- "New" technologies in the organic chemistry laboratory: microwave, ultrason, solid-phase synthesis, organic chemistry in water, parallel synthesis and reactions in flow reactors.
Organometallic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Catalysis, Synthesis Efficiency, Sustainable Chemistry
Master EPFL or Equivalent
In the programs
- Exam form: Multiple (session free)
- Subject examined: Frontiers in Chemical Synthesis. Towards Sustainable Chemistry
- Lecture: 10 Hour(s)
- Practical work: 36 Hour(s)