ENG-618 / 2 credits
Remark: From November 8th to 12th, 2021; Online
Every 2 years
The learning outcomes are to get to know the biomass ressources and its characteristics; study of biomass conversion pathways and study of process flow-sheets; establish the flow diagram of an industrial process with biomass as feedstock and calculate the corresponding mass and energy balances; etc
- Biomass classification and characterization aspects.
- Availability and potential of bioenergy in local and global scale.
- Biomass conversion pathways - current technology available and R&D status.
- Biological pathways - Thermochemical pathways.
- Main unit operations related with biomass conversion and biofuels production.
- Design of industrial processes with biomass as feedstock.
- Process integration applied to biomass conversion processes.
- Thermo - economic analysis of biomass conversion processes.
- Environmental impacts and life cycle analysis of biomass conversion processes.
- Principle of biorefineries.
- Application to one process case study.
Biomass, biofuel, energy conversion, process design
Thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, unit operation, process design, process integration
Project report evaluation
In the programs
- Exam form: Project report (session free)
- Subject examined: Biomass conversion
- Lecture: 20 Hour(s)
- Practical work: 16 Hour(s)