MICRO-211 / 4 credits
Teacher: Enz Christian
This course introduces the analysis and design of linear analog circuits based on operational amplifiers. A Laplace early approach is chosen to treat important concepts such as time and frequency responses, convolution, and filter design. The course is complemented with exercises and simulations.
- Laplace transform
- S-Domain circuit analysis
- Network functions
- Frequency response
- Operational amplifiers (OPAMP) and operational transconductance amplifiers (OTA)
- Feedback and stability
- Active filters design
- RC-active filters
- OTA-C active filters
- Switched-capacitors filters
- Signal generators
- Nonlinear opamp circuits
Linear circuits, operational amplifier, opamps, feedback, active filters
- Electrotechnics I and II
- Electronics I
Important concepts to start the course
- Complex calculus
- Kirchhoff's laws for resistive circuits
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Analyze analog circuits based on operational amplifiers
- Design simple circuits based on operational amplifiers
- Design analog active filters
- Verify the design by circuit simulation
- Develop simple analog systems
- Continue to work through difficulties or initial failure to find optimal solutions.
- Demonstrate a capacity for creativity.
- Use both general and domain specific IT resources and tools
Lectures with exercises and circuit simulations
Expected student activities
- Attend the lecture
- Complete the exercises
- Run simulation on LTspice
- Mid-term on-line moodle MCQ
- Open-book written final exam in the form of an MCQ
- R. E. Thomas, A. J. Rosa, G. J. Toussaint, The Analysis and Design of Linear Circuits, 9th Edition, Wiley, 2016, ISBN 978-1-119-23538-5.
- C. A. Desoer, E. S. Kuh, Basic Circuit Theory, Mc Graw-Hill, 1969.
- R. Boite and J. Neirynck, Théorie des réseaux de Kirchhoff, (TE volume IV), Presse Polytechniques et Universitaires Romandes, 1996.
- W. H. Hayt, J. E. Kemmerly and S. M. Durbin, Engineering Circuit Analysis, 8th Edition, Mc Graw-Hill, 2012, ISBN 978-0-07-352957-8.
- E. A. Guillemin, Introductory Circuit Theory, Wiley, 1953.
- S. Franco, Design With Operational Amplifiers and Analog Integrated Circuits, 4th edition, Mc Graw-Hill, 2015.
- J. M. Fiore, Operational Amplifiers & Linear Integrated Circuits: Theory and Application, available on line at www.mvcc.edu/jfiore
Laplace and Fourier transform:
- A. Papoulis, The Fourier Integral and its Applications, Mc Graw-Hil, 1962.
- R. N. Bracewell, The Fourier Transform and its Applications, 3rd edition, Mc Graw-Hill, 2000.
Ressources en bibliothèque
- Basic Circuit Theory / Desoer
- Design With Operational Amplifiers and Analog Integrated Circuits / Franco
- The Fourier Transform and its Applications, Bracewell
- The Fourier Integral and its Applications / Papoulis
- Operational Amplifiers & Linear Integrated Circuits: Theory and Application / Fiore
- The Analysis and Design of Linear Circuits/ Thomas
- Introductory Circuit Theory / Guillemin
- Engineering Circuit Analysis / Hayt
- Théorie des réseaux de Kirchhoff / Boite
Copy of the slides in pdf format downloadable from the moodle site.
In the programs
- Semester: Spring
- Exam form: Written (summer session)
- Subject examined: Analog circuits and systems
- Lecture: 2 Hour(s) per week x 14 weeks
- Exercises: 1 Hour(s) per week x 14 weeks
- Practical work: 1 Hour(s) per week x 14 weeks