Fiches de cours 2016-2017
Mapping urban history
Enseignant(s) :di Lenardo Isabella
WithdrawalIt is not allowed to withdraw from this subject after the registration deadline.
SummaryThe ambition of this course is to give a panorama of the development of historical cartography in Europe and to demonstrate the manner in which these documents can be used to build historical geographical information systems (HGIS).
The course is organized around three case studies: Venice, Geneva and Paris. For each of these cities, the course presents a comparative analysis of representation modes, urban dynamics and architectural elements. Students will learn to interpret historical documents to conduct urban evolution analyses and reconstruct in 2d and 3d visualizations of each of the cities studied.
2 Urban iconography and historical maps
3 Interpretation of historical sources for modelling
4 Historical Geographical Information System
5 In-situ urban data acquisition, sampling and modelling methods
6 Case study 1 : Venice
7 Case study 2 : Paris
8 Case study 3 : Geneva
9 Field study in Geneva
10 Visit of the State Archive in Geneva
11 Group project session
12 Presentations of the group projects.
Learning OutcomesBy the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- Interpret using historical knowledge, the various typologies of urban development strategies
- Recognize variety of modes of city representations.
- Apply digital cartography methodology and visual representation techniques
- Interpret historical sources to produce digital representations
- Develop an autonomous research project using the relevant tools to achieve chosen goals.
- Set objectives and design an action plan to reach those objectives.
- Assess progress against the plan, and adapt the plan as appropriate.
- Collect data.
- Use a work methodology appropriate to the task.
- Evaluate one's own performance in the team, receive and respond appropriately to feedback.
- Communicate effectively with professionals from other disciplines.
- Design and present a poster.
- Demonstrate a capacity for creativity.
Full-class presentation and exercises sessions.
Final project presentation.
Dans les plans d'études
- Forme de l'examenPendant le semestre
- Matière examinée
Mapping urban history
1 Heure(s) hebdo x 12 semaines
3 Heure(s) hebdo x 12 semaines
Semaine de référence
- Semestre d'automne
- Session d'hiver
- Semestre de printemps
- Session d'été
- Cours en français
- Cours en anglais
- Cours en allemand